At Keylet we aim to offer support, advice and the highest levels of service to make your moving experience a good one. We are here to help you! From your property search right through to enjoying your new home our clued up and friendly team will be there to guide you every step of the way.



Keylet is one of Cardiff’s largest Student Letting Agents.

After successfully diversifying into the professional and executive market and more recently sales as well, we now also boast an established office based in Cardiff Bay which is ideal for your accommodation needs when you graduate or if you are looking for somewhere extra special when you are a student.

Keylet are committed to providing you with a high quality service and hope that you will be very happy in your new home.

If you have any further queries a member of the Keylet team will be happy to assist you.


Our newly refurbished office is open at times to suit you allowing us to dedicate our resources to finding you the perfect home. Being located in the heart of Cathays student village gives us the knowledge you would expect for us to be able to offer the advice you need to help you with your choices.

When booking your viewing appointment help us to help you by giving us a much information as possible. There are so many choices available and not all of them will be what you are looking for. We want to make sure that the properties we show you are the right choices. Some options for you to consider include:

  • Number of bedrooms/Size
  • Location
  • Furnished or not
  • Special requirements such as parking
  • Your budget

Once we know what your requirements are we can begin our search to finding you the perfect home.

Our property lists, window displays and our website offer a huge portfolio of available properties but if you don’t see what you looking for then let us know and we will got the extra mile to see what we can do.

We keep looking when others give up!

A dedicated member of our team will be available to assist you at every stage. You’ll be meeting us at our state of the art offices from where we will accompany you on your chauffeured viewings.

The Booking process

We hope that you will like what you see and once you have decided on your new home the process is simple. Our team are here to help and will talk you through the reservation procedure. You will be required to complete your referencing forms and once you have paid your holding deposit, you’ve taken the first step towards moving into your new home.

We’ve made sure it’s easy for you to contact us, you can do this in 4 ways:

  • Online using our website
  • By telephone on 02920 388 399
  • By e-mail:
  • Pop in and see us at our Cathays branch

Get in touch if you have any questions or would just like to know more about what we do.

Please ensure that all ‘Personal Details’ forms given to you by your lettings negotiator at the time of paying your agency fee have been completed in full and signed. You will also need to know your national insurance number.

Each tenant will be asked to provide a completed Financial Guarantor’ form. Your financial guarantor is someone who agrees to pay your rent on your behalf should you experience difficulties making payment.

They must be:

  • Aged 21
  • A UK based home-owner
  • Related to you (ideally your parents/guardians)
  • In full time employment (or able to provide proof of income if not currently employed)

The form must be completed and signed by your financial guarantor and witnessed by an independent party – you cannot witness your own form or that of any other member of your group. All completed forms must be returned at the contract signing appointment.

If you are an international student and unable to provide a financial guarantor, it is possible for alternative arrangements to be made; these should be confirmed with your lettings negotiator before paying your agency fee.

If you are a professional, it may be possible for you to provide references in place of a guarantor, providing these are acceptable to your landlord.

Keylet are unable to accept references direct from tenants and will apply for a credit check and references via a Credit Referencing Agency. Please note that there is a charge per person for this service.

You will also be provided with a Direct Debit mandate. Rent will be collected on the 27th day of each month by one direct debit for the following months rent. You will be required to open a household account from which all rent payments will be collected. Details of your household account must be provided at the time you sign your contract.

What should I bring to my contract signing appointment?

  • All members of the group
  • Any missing information required to complete the ‘Personal Details’ forms
  • All completed ‘Financial Guarantor’ forms
  • 2 forms of identification for each tenant
  • Bond deposit payment for each tenant*
  • Completed Direct Debit mandate form

* Please note that if your contract signing appointment is less than 14 days prior to the commencement of your tenancy, you will be required to bring your bond deposit payment and first months rent in cleared funds (i.e. credit/ debit card or bankers draft made payable to Keylet).

Your bank/building society may charge you for issuing a bankers draft.

Please note Keylet operate a no cash policy.

Bond Deposits

All bond deposits are registered with an approved deposit protection scheme in line with the Tenancy Deposit Scheme government regulations ( TenancyDeposit).

This deposit will be held by Keylet during the period of the tenancy and subsequent extensions in a secured client account. You will be provided with a certificate of registration.

Completing the signing procedure

Your contract signing appointment will only be completed once all other documentation has been received and checked.

Please ensure that you have followed all of the above steps so that your appointment runs as smoothly as possible.

The following has been prepared to make moving into your property as easy as possible:

  • For all tenancies commencing 1st July your landlord may have agreed to accept half rent for July and August. This will only apply when the property is unoccupied and free from your personal belongings.
  • You must make an appointment to collect your keys at least 48 hours in advance. For all check in appointments between July and September we suggest you make an appointment as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
  • We would recommend that all members of the group are present when collecting keys as an inventory will be completed at this time and will not be amended at a later date. Only one inventory will be carried out per property.
  • Keys will only be issued from our office to the tenants named on the agreement upon commencement of full rent payment which must be in cleared funds.
  • You will only be permitted to occupy the property providing all original documentation and payments have been received, together with details of your household account and a signed direct debit agreement.
  • Tenants are responsible for all utility bills from the commencement date of the tenancy. It is the tenants’ responsibility to contact the utility companies with the meter readings to open a new account in the household name.
  • For all tenants who are students you are required to forward your student exemption certificates to Cardiff Council in order for all council tax charges to be cleared. If you are not a student please make arrangements to set up a new account and pay your bill as normal.
  • If you experience any difficulty once you have moved into your property please contact our office immediately and we will endeavour to attend to any problems as quickly as possible.

Please note that during the period of July to September when the majority of all tenants move in all maintenance works are performed on a priority basis.

Paying your rent

Rent must be received in cleared funds for the 1st day of each month by Direct Debit (i.e. payment from your household account) Any amendments to your Direct Debit instruction must be put in writing to our office with at least 10 days notice prior to the collection date. Keylet will not be held responsible for any charges that you incur as a result of not allowing sufficient time for cancellations and amendments to be processed.

Keylet will charge an administration fee of £25.00 for every payment that is returned.

There will be a charge for letters concerning rent arrears at £15.00 per letter.

In addition the agent will charge an administration fee of £50.00 per visit made to the property for the purpose of collecting outstanding rent

In the event of the tenancy going into an arrears situation, we will exercise our Statutory right to claim interest and compensation charges under the Late Payment of Debt (Interest) Act 1988. amended and supplemented by the Late Payment of Debt Regulations 2002.

Keylet shall be entitled to charge interest at the rate of 4% above the prevailing base rate of the Bank of England on the outstanding sum from the date when the sum became due until the date of payment.

Sometimes things can happen that make it difficult for you to pay your rent, please contact us as quickly as possible to discuss your situation

Guarantor – A Guide for Students

At Keylet Sales and Lettings, it is important that we can verify tenant applications for properties when securing a tenancy for a landlord. We use an external referencing agency so that the necessary checks can be made. At Keylet Sales and Lettings we use a guarantor form for all our student tenancies, and any professional tenancies where the tenant doesn’t meet our referencing criteria.

What is a Guarantor?

A guarantor, is a ‘financial backer’, a third party, usually a parent or relative, whereby they sign a contract agreeing to cover the named tenant’s rent payments if that tenant is unable to, and agrees to cover costs to repair any tenant damage. The guarantor must be a UK homeowner over the age of 25, and the signature must be witnessed by someone who is not related, either by birth or by marriage, to the guarantor or the named tenant.

What does being a guarantor involve?

As a guarantor you would be financially responsible for the tenant during the duration of the tenancy. Should the rent be unpaid, the guarantor is liable to pay the outstanding amount owed. Similarly if the property is damaged beyond fair wear and tear and the deposit held isn’t enough to cover the cost of the damage, then the guarantor would be expected to pay the difference if the tenants fail to do so.

Who can be a guarantor?

To qualify to be a guarantor you must be a resident of the UK, own a property within the UK and be over 25 years. If you do not meet this criteria, you cannot become a financial guarantor.

What paperwork comes with being a guarantor?

It is important that the guarantor form is filled out correctly as this could hinder the tenants signing the tenancy agreement and moving into a property. The form can be posted to you to be completed, it must be signed by the guarantor then appropriately witnessed at the same time. We must receive back the original form, we do not accept photocopied versions.

What happens if you live in shared accommodation?

If you share accommodation with other tenants under one tenancy agreement (Joint tenancy) it’s common that the guarantor will be liable to cover all of the rent and not just your share. If you are in shared accommodation but have individual tenancies then the guarantor would only be liable for the sole tenant. As soon as the agreement is signed the guarantor is bound to its terms and conditions.

When does a guarantor’s liability end?

This depends on what the guarantee agreement says and/or what is agreed verbally. The guarantor’s liability may continue for as long as the tenancy exists and will only end if the tenancy is legally ended by:

  • service of a valid notice to quit by the tenant, or
  • by mutual surrender of the tenancy between the landlord and tenant, or
  • a possession order from the court.

Living with Us……Things couldn’t be simpler.

Keylet are committed to providing the best service for all of our tenants. As a valued customer you will be looked after when you need us by our dedicated housing team. The housing department are available to help from the hours of 9am – 6pm Monday to Friday and 10am until 5pm on Saturdays. Out of these hours you can rest assured by the knowledge that we also have a 24 hour call out facility in place on 02920388399 for those unexpected emergencies.


We know how difficult it can be when something isn’t working. This is why we have designed and developed our state of the art online maintenance reporting system to make the whole process easier.

Simply log on to your home page by clicking on the FIXFLO link below and follow the prompts. The more information you can give us the better, it all helps to make sure we can pin point the problem quicker. We’ve teamed up with a full compliment of maintenance providers on hand to deal with the problems when they do crop up.

When reporting maintenance use your initiative, we’re not expecting you to get you tool box out and get to work but we do need you to provide us with accurate feedback and to be realistic with your expectations. Be clear on what you are responsible for (i.e light bulbs, unblocking sinks) and act accordingly.

We strive to respond to all non emergency issues within 48 hours and will provide you with a full assessment of the problem and an expected timeframe for resolution. You can log on to your homepage for a full update on the progress of a job at any time.

You will also have 24 hour access to emergency contractors by calling the Out of Hours Support Line on 02920388399.


At Keylet your safety is paramount and our priority is to make sure that all of our properties comply with all current legislation and conform to strict health and safety codes of practice. This gives you peace of mind that you won’t find a safer place to live. Accidents are not on our list of things that we like dealing with so we ask that you bear the following this in mind to ensure your stay with us is a safe one:


All of our properties have passed their Gas safety checks and we hold the relevant certificates on file. If you notice any changes to the appliance let us know straight away! Leaking gas is a fire hazard. If you smell gas contact Transco (0800 111 999) immediately. Turn off the supply at the main meter and open windows. Do not switch anything electrical on or off, including lights.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide poisoning is a silent killer caused by toxic fumes let off from faulty gas appliances. Be vigilant and invest in a carbon monoxide detector

Fire Safety

Shared houses are at more risk of fires. All of our properties are fitted with smoke detectors and larger houses will have a full fire alarm system in place. Tampering with these installations is a serious breach of contract and could put lives at risk. Exit routes from the property should be kept clear of obstructions at all times. With common sense and due care disasters can be avoided!


We like to think that all of our homes are a safe place to live but there’s no harm in taking the time to make sure that you and your home are protected. Once in the property:

  • Leave lights on if everyone in the house is out, or use automatic time switches
  • Always make sure that your doors and windows are properly secured and locked before going out.
  • Remove all valuable items during holidays
  • Never let anyone into the property without seeing some ID. If they say they represent the owner or the managing agents check that this is true.

If you have doubts about the security of your house contact the Community Safety Officer at your local Police Station.

What to do if you are burgled

  • Contact the local police immediately.
  • Make a list of everything that has been stolen or damaged so that full details can be sent to your insurance company.
  • Cancel any stolen credit or debit cards. If official documents i.e passports, driving licenses have been stolen you will need to contact the relevant authority.
  • Get in touch with us so that we can assist in re-securing your home.

For further information and advice on how to protect yourself you’re your home visit the Crimestoppers website – click here

What is a bond deposit?

A bond deposit is paid against the property to protect the landlord against any damages caused during your tenancy and is paid during the contract signing appointment.

Where is the bond deposit kept?


1. Managed properties

If the property is managed by Keylet the bond deposit is held as a stake holder in a secure client account until the end of your tenancy. All deposits collected and held by us are registered with our chosen government approved deposit protection scheme. You will be provided with a certificate confirming your registration along with your unique ID code.

2. ‘Let Only’ properties

If the property is not managed by Keylet then the monies are collected by us on the landlord behalf and then transferred to be held by them. Your landlord must register your deposit with an approved  government approved deposit protection scheme and provide you with full details where your money will be kept

How do I get my bond back and when?

Your deposit will be returned at the end of your tenancy once you have moved out and the exit inspection has been completed. To make sure that we can return of your deposits quickly and efficiently we ask that you follow the following steps:

Look after your property and follow our advice during the moving out process. We’ve worked hard to make sure our properties look good and to provide the fixtures and fittings you need to enjoy your home and we trust that you’ll want to keep them that way.

Make sure your rent accounts with us are paid up to date.

Contact your utility suppliers to let them know that you have left the property so that they can close your accounts. They will issue you with your final bills which you will need to arrange to pay. Once you’ve done this bring us the proof for the Gas, water, and electricity accounts along with your university certificates (where applicable) to confirm your council tax exemption or proof of council tax payments.

Update us with your forwarding address and contact details

If any members of your household are renting the property again but you are leaving then in order to be able to return your deposit we will need written confirmation signed by all remaining members of your groups confirming that you do not owe any money for outstanding bills and that they are happy with the condition that you have left the house and your room.

What will we do….

  • We will notify you in writing within 20 working days from the end of your tenancy of any proposed deductions to be made from your bond deposits. You will then have 7 days to get back to us.
  • We will take on board your comments, review the case and deductions will be negotiated where applicable. We will keep you informed and update you on our decision.
  • We try hard to make sure our decisions are fair and represent you and the landlord to ensure the best outcome for everyone. In the event that we agree to disagree the disputed amount of the deposit and full details of the case can be forwarded for independent adjudication.
  • We will return the undisputed amount of the bond to you once you have followed the steps above and once all invoices for any agreed works have been received from the relevant contractors. All maintenance works performed by us will incur a handling fee plus VAT.

The disputed amount is reviewed independently and will be returned to the relevant party (i.e the tenants or landlord) by the deposit protection scheme once their decision has been finalized.

And now the end is near….

We’ll get in touch about a month before the end of your tenancy to keep you up to speed on what you will need to do.

You will need to confirm your departure date and time with us so that we can schedule in our visit to complete the exit inspection with you.

During this visit we’ll go through your inventory, check on the condition of the property and collect any keys that have not already been returned. Its important to remember that we can only complete the inspection once all members of your group have moved out and all personal belongings have been removed.

By conducting check out inspections we can agree on any damages that need attending to and cleaning required before you leave and ensure that our properties are in good condition for all our new customers.

You will then be notified in writing as confirmation the decision made and proposed deductions from your deposit. If you can’t meet us on your check out date a member of our team will check your apartment and you will be notified in writing as above.

We believe in honesty and respect and you can trust us to be fair with our charges.

We would prefer however to give you your full bond back so follow our handy hints to help us with this:

  • Once you have moved out of the property we will not be able to allow you further access. If we do have to attend to let you on we have to apply a call out fee of £30.00 plus VAT for each visit. You may find the Royal Mail redirection facility useful to forward your mail to your new address, see for further details.
  • Cleaning is one of the main issues picked up on during the exit inspections. Make sure you do it before you leave and be careful to include areas which are normally missed including inside kitchen cupboards, the fridge, under beds, skirting boards and shower screens.
  • Don’t use blue tack!! The oils in blue tack leave stains on the walls which can only be removed by repainting which you will end up being charged for.
  • Note your final meter reading to close your accounts with the relevant utility providers.

Once you’ve moved out the only loose end left to tie up is the return of your bond deposit.

How do I report repairs & maintenance?

If you are living in a managed property with Keylet then please report any maintenance requests via our Fixflo system. This system allows you to report maintenance or any causes for concern at the property you are residing in.


The system can be accessed in over 40 languages, and you will have the opportunity to provide photograph’s of the issues, along with make and model numbers for any appliances. The system is designed with you in mind, and is a user friendly tool which should make renting a property easier for you.

What is Fixflo?

Fixflo is a property software application that allows you to report maintenance via their online system 24/7.

The user friendly system is image based and helps you identify the problem and whether it can be resolved by you or the landlord. Fixflo allows for you to communicate with us through the system, so that you can easily track the progress of your maintenance report.

You will also have the opportunity to give authorisation as to whether a set of management keys can be used for access or whether you would like to be present. Our skilled set of contractors who pick up this job can then contact you via the app to schedule a suitable time and day with you.

Please remember if you are a LET ONLY property, then all maintenance issues will need to be reported to the landlord direct, and will not be picked up via the system.

Please remember if there is an EMERGENCY at the property, to contact our out of hours office number (02920 388 399), which will direct you to the most suitable contractor.

Useful Contacts

When should I start looking for my student property?

We begin to advertise our list of available properties for the next academic year from October. Our properties are the first to be listed on our property portals such as Rightmove,   On The Market and our own website. We feel this gives students a chance to see our wide range of properties and helps you see what’s out there. Once you have made a shortlist of properties you’d like to see we suggest you call our Cathays branch to get you booked in for viewings.

Alternatively, let us do the hard work for you! If you know what accommodation you want, call us up and we will match you to your property. We continue to list all properties until our stock has gone, so even though our availability list decreases, there are still properties available to let over the following months.

Where in Cardiff should I live if I’m a student?

There are four universities in Cardiff; Cardiff University, The University of South Wales, Cardiff Met University and The Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama. As a result there are various campuses spread throughout the city, however you will find that the majority of students settle in the Cathays and Plasnewydd (Roath) area. And the reason for these preferred areas? Good central location, easily accessible public transport links and that student community feel. Having said that other areas such as Splott, Adamsdown and city centre also offer student accommodation.

How much should I be expected to pay for my student accommodation?

Prices can vary depending on the property, as we hold Cardiff’s largest market share in student accommodation we can provide homes for a wide range of budgets. We find that the average rent is around £350 per person per month, but again can vary depending on quality, size and location.

Should I expect my rent to come with bills included?

The majority of our properties do not come with bills included, however there are some landlords that offer bills included in the rent. Your lettings negotiator will be able to confirm this when you are booking your viewings.

What’s the process for renting single rooms available in a shared house?

There is a smaller need for these types of properties and therefore availability is low, however, we do try our best to help everyone and therefore, from time to time, we do offer rooms in shared accommodation, you will most likely find these April time onwards.

What’s the difference between Managed and Let Only property?

A managed property is when Keylet looks after the property on behalf of the landlord, and therefore any queries you may have comes directly to us. You would also be required to pay rent, report maintenance and any other issues to Keylet. This usually means you would have little or no contact with your landlord as we would act as the managing agent, making us able to sign the tenancy agreement, instruct maintenance (within reason) and deal with any queries you may have.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have Let Only properties available, this is when Keylet are instructed to let the property. We often sign the contracts with you in the office and you collect keys from us, however from this point everything else is dealt between you and the landlord direct.

What are my legal responsibilities as a student tenant?

Your responsibilities are listed in your Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, our standard agreement is available to read online and we have also helped clarify what is classed as tenant or landlord maintenance responsibilities. It is important to note that tenants are responsible for reporting maintenance issues in a timely manner so that the landlord can deal with any issues before they get worse.

What are the legal responsibilities of my landlord?

Your landlord’s responsibilities are also listed in the Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement. A landlord will always need to ensure that the property is fit to live in, this includes, adequate heating, hot water, sewerage, gas and electrical checks and lighting.

What’s a guarantor and will I need one?

A guarantor, is a ‘financial backer’, usually a parent or relative, whereby they sign a contract agreeing to cover your rent payments if you are unable to do so, they also agree to cover costs to repair any damage to the property.

We ask that all students have a guarantor, however if you are an overseas tenant unable to provide a UK based guarantor, we would ask that you pay your rent quarterly (3 months in advance).

What happens if one of us no longer wants to live at the property?

If a tenant decides to leave the property, they are still liable for their rent until a suitable replacement tenant is found and the relevant paperwork reflecting this is signed. The replacement tenant will need to come into our office to provide their details and run through the same process as the previous tenants in terms of completing the application and providing a suitable guarantor. There is also a fee payable to both parties to complete the administration work.

What’s the purpose of an inventory?

An inventory is a document that lists the current condition of the fixtures and fittings of the property. Our fully trained staff ensure this document is up to date before you move in. Once you have signed the tenancy agreement, we will also ask you to sign a copy of the inventory, we then give you the exact same copy to take away with you and you get 7 days to make any amendments and return this to us. We then accept this as your inventory and will be the one we use to complete your check out inspection.

We may require to come out to the property to check your amendments and if we do so we will let you know. If you feel the inventory we have given you is an accurate account of the condition of the property, there is no need to take any further action, we will then use the copy you signed in the office at your check out inspection.

What does a HMO license mean?

HMO stands for Houses in Multiple Occupation, the law requires that certain types of rented property are licensed in order to meet standards that ensure a house is safe for the occupants and that the landlord is competent, qualified and the most appropriate person to manage it.  HMO licensing lays down fire safety requirements and applies standards relating to kitchen and bathroom facilities. It will set maximum occupancy limits and control ongoing management standards.

In addition Additional Licensing Schemes for Cathays and Plasnewydd also look to tackle wider community issues such as waste, anti-social behaviour, energy efficiency and property security.

What should I do if I can’t pay my rent?

Don’t be afraid to contact us, you should let Keylet know as soon as possible should you not be in a position to pay your rent. You are under contract to ensure that the rent is paid on the agreed day at the agreed sum, and if you fall behind you are in breach of your contract. As per the terms and conditions of your tenancy agreement, administration charges will be added to your account accordingly, and in the event of arrears, we may contact your guarantor so they can cover the rent on your behalf.

What should I do if I have a maintenance issue?

If you are a Let Only property you will need to contact your landlord direct. If you are a managed property we have an online system available 24/7 that can log any maintenance required. You will be given your unique log in details when you move in, and when you need us, visit and click the maintenance box on the right hand side. For emergencies during working hours, (such as gas, electrical faults and leaks) we recommend you contact our offices directly so we can sort any issues as soon as possible and to avoid further damage. For out of hours emergencies, call our main office line and you will be put through to the relevant contractor.

What bills do I have to pay and how much?

Unless otherwise agreed, you are responsible for setting up all utilities at the property. Students are exempt from paying council tax, although you will still need to provide Keylet, as well as Cardiff Council, with the council tax exemption certificate provided by your University. You are liable to pay the TV license, if you sign a joint tenancy agreement you will only need one license to cover the whole property. The cost of electricity and gas will vary depending on the size of the property, your energy provider and your usage. It is essential that you call all your utility providers when you move in to the property to set up your account and with an opening meter reading so that they start billing you accurately from the day you moved in. Take note, that some gas and electric can be metered on a pay as you go meter, while others will set up a monthly direct debit. You are also liable for water bills and will be required to set up an account from the day your tenancy starts, however there is only one provider for this utility which is Welsh Water.

How do I get my deposit back?

After you have vacated the tenancy and providing there is no deductions, you must provide copies of all your final bills confirming the accounts are at a zero balance or have been closed down. The date on the finals bills must match that of your tenancy end date. Similarly you must provide a copy of your council tax exemption certificate. Once these have been provided it is on this basis we can return your bond to you, this can either be by cheque or bank transfer and will be within 21 days of the final documents being received. We appreciate this is a lot to take in, so not to worry, we will remind you about your council tax exemption certificate by November and will remind you of your final bills along with your check-out inspection letter in May.

What happens if there is a deduction from my deposit?

You will be sent a letter or an email within 10 working days, should there be any deductions from the bond deposit. Deductions are made for any remedial maintenance, cleaning, or arrears left on the property. We accept fair wear and tear on the property and we will use the inventory as a guide to determine if the property has been left in a good condition.