Pontcanna, ‘Pont Canna’
Cathedral Road was previously known as Pontcanna Lane.
Pontcanna is a district located to the west of Cardiff, with the area defined and bounded by Llandaff Fields, Riverside and Cowbridge Road. The name Pontcanna stems from Pont Canna Farm, which in turn was named after a bridge across the Whitehouse Brook, the brook was covered up in 1896. Pontcanna used to be open farmland until late 19th Century and the main road through Pontcanna, Cathedral Road, was previously known as Pontcanna Lane. In 1854 Sophia Widow of 2nd Marquess of Bute began to finance the creation of a 41 acre garden on the site of Plasturton Farm next to the river Taff and Cardiff Bridge. This is the public park now known as Sophia Gardens. Between 1885 and 1900 the large villas along Cathedral Road were constructed, they were occupied by the wealthy families of Cardiff.
Many of the larger Victorian houses have now been transformed into flats, guest houses or business premises. Located on the edge of the city centre Pontcanna gives easy access for professionals to city centre as well as commuters. Most recently, Pontcanna, has been named one of the most fashionable places to live in the U.K. Known for its wide tree lined streets with large houses, it has a gentrified community feel with a café culture lifestyle. There is a mixture of young professionals locating to the area alongside families that wish to benefit from a village of community living on the edge of a city. There are characterful properties and streets full of great escapes, Sophia Gardens, coffee shops and restaurants.
KEYLET GUIDE TO PONTCANNA