Adamsdown, is an inner city area to the south of Cardiff which sits between Splott and the City Centre, defined by the borders of Newport Road and the train line. Historically, the area was owned by the Lords of Glamorgan as it sat just outside the city walls. Until 1800’s Adamsdown consisted of 270 acres of farmland, known as ‘The Downs’. Construction began in 1830’s, then in 1850’s the area became known as ‘Little Ireland’ following the mass migration of the Irish due to the famine in Ireland. A hospital, prison, churches and cemetery were built in the area during the 1800’s. Now mainly residential and characterised by terrace houses, street names are famously named after astronomy (Star, Planet, and Eclipse) and precious metals and stones such as (Gold, Copper, Topaz, and Diamond).
Houses are noticeably cheaper, than compared to neighbouring areas such as Cathays and Roath. The area brings together a mixture of cultures, attracting both families, young couples and some students, due to its close proximity to the city centre. The shopping centre and student building, ‘The Atrium’ are all a short walk away. The nearest train station is Queen Street, located in the City Centre, while bus routes operate throughout the area, connecting Adamsdown to Splott, Tremorfa and the City Centre. Adamsdown has a one way traffic street, called Clifton Street, which is where the main shopping centre is located, which is home to Tesco, a local Post Office as well as plenty of independent shops.